2017 Under the Sea - Seahorse Silver Coin
Product Code: CAN0011
Ocean and land are eternally intertwined, yet much of the sea remains a world of unknown wonders. This underwater paradise is teeming with life and colour, home to mystifying residents that captivate us with their otherworldly beauty and behaviour.
Only those who brave the depths can hope to uncover the secrets of the sea. This enchanting new series showcases three ocean residents we've already come to know and love, beautifully portrayed as a stunning murrini element encased in borosilicate glass.
To create each coin's handmade murrini element, the artist first layers various rods of coloured borosilicate glass in a tube. All the air is then drawn from the tube using a vacuum pump, while melting the glass assembly. This produces a single fine cane that, once sliced, reveals the image on each cross-section of the glass. A fine layer of the murrini cane is applied onto the glass, with more colour swept across the back before being embedded on the coin. The result: a stunning, one-of-a-kind seahorse for the first coin of this exciting series!
Each glass piece is a unique piece of art!
- NEW SERIES! Your coins are part of three 99.99% pure silver coins in an exquisite new series called Under The Sea, which features some of the marvels found in Canadian waters!
- A MINT FIRST! The undersea-shaped glass elements in your three coins are the result of a laborious handcrafted process in which different colours of glass rods (stringers) are layered and fused together to form a colourful mosaic that reveals the final image when sliced, also known as a mosaic murrini.
- EACH GLASS PIECE IS A UNIQUE PIECE OF ART! The handcrafted nature of both the murrini element and its glass enclosure make each coin in this 3-coin series unique.
- UNIQUE GLASS EMBELLISHMENT! Despite its delicate appearance, the glass embellishment in each of your coins are sculpted from borosilicate glass, which is highly resilient yet lightweight.
- ARTFULLY INTEGRATES THE ILLUSION OF WATER! In the background, each coin's silver surface is artfully integrated to create the illusion of water, while the eye-catching colour adds vibrancy to the engraved design.
- AN ARTISTIC COLLABORATION! Your coins are the collaboration of two artists! The pure silver coin was designed by Canadian artist Maurice Gervais, while the glass embellishment was handcrafted by Canadian glass artist Loïc Beaumont-Tremblay!
- LOW MINTAGE: Only 7,500 coins will be made available worldwide.
Designed by Canadian artist Maurice Gervais, the first coin in your 3-coin subscription offers a glimpse of the hidden underwater world off Canada's Atlantic coast, thanks to its depiction of a shallow sea grass habitat. The application of vivid coloured enamel over the detailed engraving recreates the textured rocks, seashells and swaying green grasses that line the sandy ocean floor. To the right, a handcrafted glass embellishment by Canadian glass artist Loïc Beaumont-Tremblay contains a striking seahorse-shaped mosaic murrini element. The mosaic-based approach to this glass art technique lends itself well to recreating the seahorse's speckled colouring, while other features such as its bony armour, pointed snout and curled tail are equally captured in extraordinary detail. The murrini piece has its own protection thanks to its resilient glass enclosure sculpted from borosilicate glass.
Your coins are individually encapsulated and presented in their own Royal Canadian Mint-branded maroon clamshells with black beauty boxes.
- See more at: http://www.mint.ca/store/coins/1-oz.-pure-silver-coloured-3coin-subscription-%E2%80%93-under-the-sea-%E2%80%93-mintage-7500-2017-prod2770468?rcmiid=link|search|searchresults|1_oz_Pure_Silver_Coloured_3-Coin_Subscription_Under_the_Sea_Mintage_7500_2017&#.WMMtQ1qxb8Q
- Composition99.99% pure silver
- Weight (g) 31.39
- Diameter (mm) 38
- Face value20 dollars
- ArtistMaurice Gervais (reverse), Loïc Beaumont-Tremblay (glass embellishment), Susanna Blunt (obverse)