2017 Canadiana Kaleidoscope: The Loon
Product Code: CAN0005
Everybody will be going loonie for this coin that celebrates Canada's iconic water bird as if you're peering into a kaleidoscope. At 60 mm, it's the same size as a real kaleidoscope, with rich, translucent colour that spans the coin from rim to rim with no border—a significant feat in minting!
A beautiful gift to remind someone of the joy they felt the first time he or she looked through a kaleidoscope!
- ONE OF OUR THINNEST SILVER COINS EVER! One-ounce coin measuring 60 mm across!
- EXPERIENCE LIKE LOOKING THROUGH A KALEIDOSCOPE! Your coin's design was inspired by the kaleidoscope, a toy that has entertained people for 200 years by tumbling shapes into beautiful patterns inside a mirrored tube.
- SECOND ISSUE IN NEW SERIES! Your coin is the second in an exciting 3-coin series that celebrates Canadian icons (polar bear, common loon, and maple leaf) with unique kaleidoscope designs. Subscription includes an actual kaleidoscope so subscribe today before it's all gone!
- GORGEOUS SHADES OF TRANSLUCENT RED! Your coin was expertly crafted with a full-sized kaleidoscope design of loons meticulously enhanced with gorgeous shades of translucent red.
- A TECHNOLOGICAL FEAT IN MINTING! The design of your coin covers the entire coin from edge to edge with no border!
- UNIQUE KALEIDOSCOPE PATTERN ON OTHER SIDE! The obverse side of your coin also features a unique kaleidoscope pattern within the proof field.
- INCLUDES SERIALIZED CERTIFICATE! The Royal Canadian Mint certifies all of its collector coins. Most of these are serialized certifications, meaning that each certificate is given a unique number, starting at 1.
- LOW MINTAGE! Only 7,500 coins available worldwide!
- ONE-OUNCE 99.99% PURE SILVER!
Canadian artist Calder Moore has created a full-sized kaleidoscope design for the coin's extra-large surface. Countless loons in myriad sizes come together in a complex pattern of amazing beauty, some face-to-face to create the outer ring of the design, while smaller birds stand rear-to-rear and upside-down to form the smaller rings towards the centre. The design is meticulously crafted with astounding detail, and beautifully enhanced with translucent colour to capture the reflective essence of a kaleidoscope. The colours are inspired by the loon's feathers, its red eyes, and the fiery colours of a sunset that set the stage for its hallmark call.
Your coin is encapsulated and presented in a Royal Canadian Mint-branded maroon clamshell with a black beauty box.
- Composition99.99% pure silver
- Weight (g) 31.85
- Diameter (mm) 60
- Face value20 dollars
- ArtistCalder Moore (reverse), Susanna Blunt (obverse)